Just because you’re away from home doesn’t mean you have to throw away all your good eating habits!
Here are 10 tips for a healthier trip:
1) Do as much prep work for larger meals at home = more time for fun!
2) Pack fruit that travels well: oranges, apples, bananas, or dried fruit. Since these don’t have to be kept cold it will help save space in your fridge or cooler.
3) Prep (wash and cut) raw veggies: carrots, celery, broccoli, cauliflower. Or just buy the pre-washed/bagged kind; throw in some snap peas and cherry tomatoes, don’t forget the bagged salads too!
4) Pack the following: cheese sticks or pre-portioned light cheese and Greek yogurt. High fiber bread, crackers, pitas or tortillas.
5) Pre-cook pasta at home and store it in a ziploc or container. Make a simple pasta salad by throwing in some of those pre-cut veggies; add some cheese and vinaigrette, Voila!
6) Crack your eggs before you go. Store them in tupperware and keep frozen or fresh. Much, much easier to travel with eggs this way!
7) Take your crock pot. Before leaving, mix ingredients and pack in a ziploc (or just prep at the campsite). On your way out to the beach pop it in your crock pot! Some ideas here: chili, sloppy joes, salsa chicken, pot roast (use the leftover for sandwiches the next day).
8) Pack homemade muffins, cookies, trail mix (cereal, dried fruit, nuts, seeds, air-popped popcorn. Or Commercial Trail Mix with no added salt).
9) Try tin-foil dinners (see below) for an easy and tasty balanced meal.
10) Bring one or two of your favourite treats! You are camping after all 🙂
Campfire Chicken Fajitas
- 2 chicken breasts, sliced into strips
- 2 cups red peppers, sliced
- 1 cup onion, sliced
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. salt
Serve with whole wheat tortilla wraps, Greek yogurt, salsa and cheese.
- Combine all in ingredients raw in a large bowl and mix well.
- Use 4 large pieces of tin foil and split the mixture evenly between all four.
- Wrap the mixture up being sure there are no holes, but leaving a little room in the package for steam to grow.
- Place in the fridge until ready to use.
- When ready to eat, heat a grill over propane or fire and place the fajita package directly on the grill.
- Cook for 10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Nutritional analysis per serving: 171 calories, 6 g fat, 19g protein, 9 g carbohydrate (7 g available carbohydrate), 2 g fibre, 49 mg sodium